Friday, June 4, 2010

Do Something Outrageous!

Here's another story that speaks volumes of just what our simple acts of kindness can bring.


Yesterday, I wasn't having the greatest day. I lost my wallet, and luckily I found it, but the whole mishap messed up the rest of my day. In the evening, I was reading stories on My Life is Average, and then switched to Gives Me Hope. Reading about so many positive experiences and contributions to society from so many different people made me feel very cheerful.

After reading, I was getting ready for bed in an altogether happy mood, and as I was getting out of the shower, I had a wonderful idea. I had this profound urge to do something outrageously nice for someone whom I don't feel like I've ever done anything explicitly nice, my mother.

That's not to say that I don't love her and tell her as such, but doing the little acts of kindness, those usually escape me. And it's not just me that forgets to do these kinds of things for her, either. My dad doesn't usually buy her flowers (he's gotten better lately... a little), and he never buys her jewelry or anything. And it's not like she's ever said that she cares, but she's a woman, of course she does.

So, late last night, I ordered flowers to be sent to my mother. Never before have I felt so cheerful and excited to see someone's reaction. The flowers should arrive at her house any time now, and I just can't wait for the text message she'll send me after she gets over the shock that I sent her flowers.

I love her so much.

1 comment:

  1. My thoughts exactly. Most of the times it is the little things that maters most to me. It never hurts to take time to be kind to someone.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to seeing how you made a difference today!