Saturday, October 2, 2010

Kindness in the Checkout Line

I had received this heartwarming story in an email awhile back and wanted to share some ideas with you on ways to make a difference in the lives of people we see everyday but may not know. Here's another great one and enjoy ~ Love and Hugs ~ Kat

I was at the grocery store one evening. I had finished shopping and was looking for a line to get in to. I chose a line that had one woman who just about through and ready to pay, and another woman behind her who didn’t have very much.

As I was standing there waiting for my turn, I noticed the woman directly in front of me. She looked as if she had just had some kind of medical treatment. She was wearing a bandana along with a hat. Her face looked as if she had known a lot of pain and was tired of everything. She had a back pack to carry her groceries in and she had bought everything that one would need to care for one’s self at home. She kept glancing at her groceries and kept counting the money in her hand. I kept thinking to myself, I wish I had money to pay for her groceries. What can I do to help her out?

To my surprise, as these thoughts were going through my head, the woman ahead of her (in the front of the line) softly whispered to the woman who didn’t look well, "Put your money away, this one is on me."

The woman shook her head a few times and the front woman kept insisting until it happened. There is no way I would have witnessed this if I hadn’t been paying attention myself. I just remember looking up in awe and saying, "Thank You."

As I walked outside the woman who didn’t feel well was right there, putting her groceries in her back pack. I gently approached her, introduced myself, told her the direction I was heading in and asked if she would like a ride. She said it wasn’t necessary. I told her I had plenty of room in my car and she was more than welcome if she wanted to come along.

She introduced herself and accepted. As she got out of my car she said to me, “God Bless you,” and I said the same. I just keep thinking, maybe I put it out there and the thing I couldn’t do someone else did but, in turn, I was presented with some other way to help her out - and that I could do!

3 comments:

  1. this was beautiful! Love the concept of your blog and I am your newest follower.
    Once I paid for the newspapers of an elderly gentleman standing behind me in line at the grocery store, (I am out of work and couldn't pay for his groceries) but he was elated and shocked that I had already paid for all of the newspapers he picked up that day while he was waiting in line

    Cat Chat http://opcatchat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely heart-warming story! Life is simple really:)

    x

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to seeing how you made a difference today!