Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What a Wonderful World!



I got this in my email today and thought I would share it since it goes perfectly with everything this blog is about. I hope it truly touches you and warms your heart.

I hear some actors keep a sad thought or memory tucked away to help them with scenes where they might need to cry. I think we should each try to find the opposite; a happy memory, something to lift us up on those inevitable down days. I’m saying this because I think I just found mine!

I had some work in Glasgow today. I was on a really tight schedule, which meant I would have no time for myself (or my own work) all day. I was having one of those days, the train was completely packed out and the conversation going on around me seemed to be particularly inane. On top of all that, I had a bit of a headache.
Walking briskly across the concourse, I fished some change from my pocket. There was usually someone at the exit selling The Big Issue (a magazine that helps homeless folk earn a living).
As the crowd parted ways at the bottom of the concourse, I saw someone selling the Big Issue. You had to be homeless to sell the Big Issue. She really looked like she’d been sleeping rough. Her clothes were ragged and she obviously hadn’t had a scrub up for quite a while.
As I approached the exit, I saw that she was also rocking from side to side. At first I thought maybe she was trying to keep warm against the biting wind. But she wasn’t, she was moving in time to a tune. I couldn’t hear her, but I could see her lips moving.
As I got closer, I saw a white cane hanging from her elbow and noticed that she had sunken eyes. She was blind, dirty and living on the streets. I came closer and through the noise of the traffic and the commuters I heard her sing the immortal line, “… and I think to myself, what a wonderful world!”
I bought her last magazine for twice what I’d originally intended. She thanked me, then she picked up her stuff and went tapping off along the pavement - still singing!
So, I have my happy memory for the day. And I think it will stay with me a long, long time. Feel free to borrow it if you like.

6 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful Kat. Sure sounds like Louie Armstrong singing though. Thanks dear one for sharing. Blessings to you and your Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This world is so beautiful and wonderful to live no matter the condition of whatever we are going through.
    We are loved and cherished by the Creator.
    All things He made are wonderful and unique.

    God bless you for the mercy you've shown today.

    Thanks for the song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Divine moment for you! What a blessing you are and were for this woman!! God is moving so powerfully through you Kat....

    Thankyou for sharing

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that song! Reminds me of how wonderfully He created everything. Great story! Thank you for reminding us about ARK. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning,
    What a a blessing I have had by reading this today. I also went back and read some other post, and was even more blessed. You truly have a ministry here, and I want to encourage you to continue sharing.
    The story of the girl in the restaurant who had paid the bill, reminds me of this ... we never know how our actions will affect others.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all need a song in our heart ...

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to seeing how you made a difference today!