Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Smile Cards

Here's a story of how to spread kindness and how to pass it along to others. If you are interested in ordering some smile cards, click here. Enjoy this story of how someone used theirs.


My second lot of Smile Cards arrived last week, and I have been trying to think of uses for them. Today, before I headed into town for a job interview, I decided to grab a handful and try to use as many as I could throughout the day.

The weather was awful, it was pouring with rain, and I would've loved to buy umbrellas for people. But being unemployed, I didn't have the money to spare. So instead, I decided to think of free or really cheap ways to make people smile -- after all, even the little things count. I knew I'd also have to deal with my shyness, or just create anonymous acts of kindness, but it was a challenge I was willing to accept!

Before leaving my house, I filled a bag with some items that I no longer use and prepared to drop it off at a charity shop in town. My first opportunity to help came when I was on the bus. The seat I sat on, next to the window, was soaking wet -- somehow the rain had gotten in. I scooted across to the aisle seat, and to ensure that no one else ended up with a wet bottom, I left a note on the seat, with a Smile Card, saying, "This seat is wet, sit with caution!"

I dropped my small bag of donations into the charity shop. I then proceeded to go straight to my job interview, but on the way, I found a small means to help someone: while waiting at the road crossing, I held my umbrella over the woman standing in front of me. She didn't notice but hopefully those extra moments of dryness helped!

After my interview, I'd thought up a few more ways to create smiles. I checked my purse for change and put 50 pence and a Smile Card on top of a child's automatic ride, enough for one surprising ride for a child. I also put three 20-pence pieces with a card in a phone box, enough to make a 30-minute phone call. I had to pop into the post office to collect a new passport form, and the queue was huge. I allowed an elderly gentleman to go in front of me as he was having trouble standing. At this point, I was really beginning to enjoy my day of kindness!

Before getting on the bus home, I had one more idea: I went and bought a small bag of chocolates and attached a Smile Card. When I got back to my street, I left the sweets and a Smile Card at a neighbor's door. This neighbor had taken in a parcel for me last week, so he deserved a treat.

After all this, my day of giving wasn't yet over! I collected some of my old videos that I no longer watched and gave them to an elderly neighbor because I knew that he liked this type of film. I also had a special code for 50 pence of free mobile phone credit, but instead of using it for myself, I activated it for a friend, and she had no idea it was me!!

I'm so pleased that I managed to do all these little things for others today. It didn't take much effort on my part, but I definitely had to push myself to overcome my lack of confidence, and I'm proud of myself :o)

2 comments:

  1. I love the stories and how many people you touched. It not how much you spend, put how you make people feel. Many Blessings to you and your family this Christmas and all throughout the new year. Love and Light, Nina P

    ReplyDelete
  2. great stories! Keep it up! Merry Christmas!

    Visit Me:
    daydreamstars.blogspot.com
    bobiscorner.blogspot.com
    retratovida.blogspot.com
    codegalaxy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to seeing how you made a difference today!