Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Make Invisible People Feel Visible!

You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace before the concert and the opera, and grace before the play and pantomime, and grace before I open a book, and grace before sketching, painting, swimming, fencing, boxing, walking, playing, dancing and grace before I dip the pen in the ink. ~G.K. Chesterton

Idea of the Week

Four years ago I decided to make it my gift to those around me that I express to them how much they mean to me..... not JUST my friends and family, but all the people I encounter in my day. That included the baggers at the grocery store, the cashiers at the pharmacy, the bus driver, the garbage pickup man, the mailman, and many others. The more invisible the person (like the garbage pick up man), the more I focused on them. I complimented them on their work, how grateful I was for their contributions to my life, and how appreciative I was for their kindnesses to me. As a result of that single campaign, I am now on a wave-at basis with so many of these individuals! It wasn't that I did anything special; it was that I noticed how special THEY were, and told them so. Who doesn't like to hear that about themselves? I simply wanted to give of my heart and my time to acknowledge how special they were to me.......but in the end, I got WAY more than I ever gave. And now they bring that fabric to life! How blessed I feel with every wave, every smile, every "how ya doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to seeing how you made a difference today!