Saturday, July 23, 2011

Kindness On An Island


Here's an email I received today showing another unique way we can help out when we are able. What kindness did you share today with someone? Please share by leaving a comment below:


Just recently, there was a man standing near the islands in the gas station when I pulled in. I had recognized him from before, when I saw him trying to cross 4 lanes of traffic with crutches. He still had his crutches with him.

When I got out of the car he politely asked me if he could pump my gas. I said, no thank you and continued on. I started to notice he asked other people the same question, and I realized he was doing it for money, but he wasn't getting any. As I looked at him, he seemed genuinely worn out and running low on energy.

As I passed by him to go inside, he smiled and commented on how hot it was. I agreed, and asked him if he had walked here. He said yes, he is trying to get donations to be able to keep him and his sick wife in a hotel, because that's the only place left for them, besides the street. I went inside the gas station grabbed a couple of cold waters, and went back outside.

As I approached him and handed him the water, he looked at me with teary eyes, then I handed him the change from a twenty. He looked back at me and said, "God Bless You."

My heart felt so good!

I really couldn't afford to give him what I did, but by golly, at least I have the luxury of knowing where I'll be every night. Most people will call me a sucker and I gave into a bum.

I don't believe that. I did what I thought was right.

2 comments:

  1. That's one thing that I think is really sad: that all homeless people are drug-adled losers who just didn't want a job or that those who are begging for money or those who are trying to get money that way are just lazy. That is very, very far from the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very sweet of him. I have found over the years that it is hard to understand who we can trust when we see people like this. I have given money to people several times and have witnessed them go into a liquor store! I will gladly give them water or buy them a meal but I no longer give them money.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to seeing how you made a difference today!