Monday, April 18, 2011

Kindness for Graduates

I had this in my email and had to share. So many times opportunity presents itself in a variety of ways, here's a new way to help someone out if you can, and it will be life changing.


In August, an intern came to work at my company. As I began to get to know her I was inspired by her story.

In addition to coming from the inner city and having suffered many abuses as a child, her story was one of courage. At age 20 she went to bed with a headache and woke up paralyzed and unable to speak. She had a brain virus that caused the brain to swell. She had to relearn to talk, walk, write and lost much of her vision and balance. Despite all that she continued with her education and graduated in December with a bachelor's degree.

Her family was not supportive, her mother did not even wish to attend the graduation. The last week she was here I told her to show up early and dress up as we were taking someone else to lunch. Instead, I had a surprise. When she arrived she was treated to a facial and a makeover complete with items to take home. Then we went shopping and bought her a beautiful suit for her graduation day and another outfit for interviews. The final stop was lunch at her favorite restaurant. It was a GREAT day for me and her.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to seeing how you made a difference today!